Monday, December 21, 2009

The Intent of the Heart

Much of today's art reflects a gloominess, a darkness that is hard to explain, but only felt. It's the same type of gloominess that I felt as I walked the streets of Los Angeles at night. I felt a darkness there that I've never felt anywhere else. Satanic posters and grotesque artwork were the normal in downtown Hollywood. I thought Hollywood was full of glitz and glamour. What I found were fading dreams, shattered visions, and those who had lost all hope sleeping on the streets. Perhaps they were aspiring actors and actresses at one time.

My goal has always been to counter all that negative with something good. Art can be used for evil or for good. It can be used to build or destroy. It can be used to encourage or discourage. And while "yes" we as artists don't want to be dishonest in what we do, we also don't want to enforce those negative feelings in our lives. Many times we punish ourselves by reliving the negative over and over again. Only through grace and forgiveness are we able to move forward in our lives. I want my art to be honest, but always with hope somewhere, something to look forward to. My prayer is that somehow I can achieve something good with my art.

No comments:

Post a Comment